Saturday, July 15, 2006

Please stop.

I knew little of politics but not one Filipino can really be apolitical, even the child that I was then. Presidential, senatorial, even just barangay elections were always a spectacle that one can’t help but be lured in. I was oblivious to the real facts of the political world but I was always amazed by the intrigue and the drama. I made my choices, took my side, even joined the political debates at the dinner table. I was enjoying the feel, the rush that I felt when we talked about politics.

Politics remains one of those things that I like talking about. Taking a side, hopefully the right one, bringing them up with friends and confirming my thoughts and stand on issues. Debating about it with others who think otherwise and seeing two sides of the coin. I fought with my schoolmates. Walked out of a class in defiance of a bordering-on-indifference stance that the school seemed to take… always too calculated, ending up too slow. We were on the brink of change, and while the rest of the country were out on the streets, we were waiting when to make up our minds. I was one of those who stood in front of the EDSA Shrine, up and down on my knees, practicing with the rest of the crowd how to avoid getting our heads blown off in case we get hosed down by water.

But I didn’t get to see the triumphant (it was how it felt then) change of times. After a grueling all-nighter on the streets, I slept most of the next day off… missing the pivotal swearing in of the new administration. I just saw everything in retrospect, on TV, including the almost-pitiful farewell of the beleaguered ex-president. Was it a sign that after fighting for the change in presidency, the President who takes the seat of power was one I shall defy now? I slept through her oath, maybe because it was better off I didn’t hear the nonsensical promises she won’t keep.

She used it more than enough times—she being the CHOSEN one, with Divine Providence putting her in office. I believe in Divine Providence. I believe in God choosing us for our missions in life and where it is that we are supposed to be headed. That He makes things work, even when we put ourselves in the most difficult situations by our choices.

What I can’t believe is that she’s been using Divine Providence as an excuse, even as a protective shield, that would somehow make her bullet-proof to criticism or unquestionable for her decisions. I am bothered by the fact that she thinks she’s been doing everything right and then creates a force field around her decisions by saying that she’s been put in office by God—for who would want to defy God’s anointed.

I have nothing against people having faith in God and knowing that God has a hand in everything they do. But I can’t help but be bothered that she continues to use this line to sugarcoat even her most obvious offences to the country. I am hurt by the fact that she can freely use God to her defense and think that everything else is un-godly. That everything else that seems in defiance of her plans are wrong and evil. We are not fooled.

How can I trust a president who can’t even show sincere emotion while saying sorry on national television and while admitting to a mistake that is obviously an abuse of power and violation of people’s trust? How can I trust a president who, instead of righting the questionable practices of the government she now leads, resorted to one-upping her opponents and did the wrong that only the most “trapo” of politicians would resort to?

She was put in office because she was the legal next option. On her second term, we don’t even know WHY. I didn’t vote for her and apparently so did majority of the Filipino people. Why was she there? Oh please, stop pulling the Almighty in your mess.

Maybe I’m not as informed as I should be but I’ve read news stories. I’ve heard street stories. I’ve tried to keep up with what’s happening to our country. What will I choose to believe when I see that there remain loopholes she and her minions continue to patch up with lame excuses? I see that they continue to pay-up “utang na loob”, ending up more indebted to godfathers instead of to the people, the voters who supposedly put her up in her second term.

There have been numerous “accidents” and outright killings. She opted to plaster the mouths of her executives—for fear of being sold out? Why are these people being prevented from speaking to the Senate committee? Why do they keep on taunting the opposition and then when people from their turf decide to speak up, they gag them?

The people as well as the military are restless. What are we missing here? While God has a hand in everything, we cannot blame Him for the misuse of our free will and tag His name on every mistake we make. We don’t need a president who’s always on the defensive—reacting to every bit of criticism, instead of proving them otherwise by her work. This is not all economics. The peso may be improving, or the GNP or GNP or a whole lot of other numbers. For one, the global economy has much to do with that so if the numbers improve—it’s not always about her doing an astounding job. Secondly, it’s not all her—it’s the expert backing she wisely chose to keep the economy rolling. Thirdly, the numbers don’t matter to the poor Filipino people who don’t need the excess baggage of political agenda. They’d bite into anything and it’s a pity that we should allow that. Why should we have citizens who’d stoop low to bribery just so they have enough to buy food for a day?

It’s senseless… embracing Divine Providence but shunning out the Church’s sincere statements that question and sometimes challenge her. Her supporters act as if they are always put on the limelight for wrong reasons, appealing to the pity of the people, hoping to be redeemed by achievements that do not have direct effects to the questions at hand.

So what if she’s wowed international audiences by her multi-lingual skills? So what if she’s changed her hairstyle since she got in office and now looks better in her couture dresses? So what if she can talk with foreign diplomats, presidents without fear of using up all her English?

The government, once an intriguing snow globe in my hands as a child, is now a painful almost senseless piece of extra skin. If we can get away with having none, I would be more than willing to do so. Maybe because I am more attuned now to the happenings at the political arena, I am more out-of-tune with the rest of my life. Yes, every bit of hoolabaloo in the government can change the decisions I make in my life. What would be my future be? How much would companies be willing to pay me with a weak economy and hardly trusted government? Am I willing to continue betting my chances on an almost hopeless country? (I say almost because I am still a Filipino and I love my country.)

I want to serve my country. And if that means defying a most capable president because she’s incompetent in what matters most, then so be it. If I should walk miles again, in protest and in honor of those who’ve led brave lives against the tyranny of the power-hungry, I shall do so again.

But she’s one lucky little girl. She’s lucky, and we’re not, that the opposition may seem to have led a united stand against her (for what else have they to do as “oppositionists”) but remain divided as to the “end” they propose to the confused majority. We need a competent leader who cares more about the people than to keeping her ass pasted on the presidential chair. We need someone who’d be able to lead us against the tides and pull the country up to where it belongs—lauded for its talents, loved for its charisma, respected for its values. We don’t want a president who’ll be willing to sell us to the dogs just so she would appear strong beyond her meager size, guinea pigs to her endless delusions and illusions. We don’t want to be sent out there in the dark because she’s willing to sign every bill, treaty or deal that would put a stamp of approval on her resume. We need a leader who would love us, take care of us, think of us as children, not as tools. We expected this from the 2nd lady president of our country. She’s no where near being a woman except for her high-heeled shoes and couture dresses. She’s no where being a mom or grandmom except for the façade she shows in planted photo opportunities.

She’s a liar. A wordsmith. A schemer. Please stop. Stop her now.

tweenkies_1106 at 2:29 PM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment