Saturday, July 08, 2006

Ch-ch-chilly Chicago.

I thought 24 degrees Celsius was already cold. I didn’t expect I’d ever experience a below 0-degree weather! I was totally unprepared and even with the lent gloves and scarf, I was still shivering. And yet, Chicago was anything but cold. It’s on the top of the charts of my favorites! Truly a heart-warming memory….

It was a pretty exhausting first day and yet the fun wasn’t diminished.

I will remember Chicago for its wonderful metropolis; the friendship of a newfound “lolo”, photographer, writer and tourist guide, rolled into one; my high school best friend and her husband (so surreal just saying that!); tulips-abounding everywhere you look in Michigan Ave.; Millenium park; the cooold wind; Navy Pier; and the Art Institute. Among other things. What mattered most, of course, was having spent the discovery of such a wonderful city with friends. With best friends and newfound friends.

I could say that I fell in love with Chicago the moment I breathed in the Chicago air. It seemed fast-paced, but not unfriendly. I felt the richness of the city, in history, art, music and modernity. And yet it wasn’t a snob. You could get lost in it without feeling lost. You can be in awe of the beauty of buildings, flowers, even just by the people walking around, even the mundane, normal things seem new and interesting. To walk around in your own pace without worrying that people would bump into you to hasten your walk, or snicker at the “I’m a tourist” look on your face. You can carry a camera and take in the beauty of a world ready to pose for you. I would love to get lost in Chicago. Of course, while holding the hand of a loved one. To make the discovery a lot sweeter.-22-25april2006

tweenkies_1106 at 11:36 AM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment